I starting goofing around with throwing while in the
U.S Army during the 1980's. Nothing serious, but just amused ourselves while
waiting for war games to heat up. I then took up serious throwing in early
1996, initially using a large Blackjack thrower but had the usual success
problems. I then did the research and found the size and weight was wrong which
lead me to the Branton camp for some serious direction and corrections [thanks
Bobby]. The rest is immensive practice effort and lots of research. That's the
short story on my throwing history.
- 1997, October - Range officer/scorer for the South East
- 1998, May - Competitor/thrower in the AKTA National.
Scored 59 for 9th place. First time jitters.
- 1998, September - Competitor/thrower in AKTA sanctioned
Tuckahoe, MD event. Scored 46 for 4th place. Wrenched throwing shoulder setting
- 1999, April- Competitor/thrower in AKTA National event.
Scored 99 for 12th place of 14. Not my best, but learned a few things to adjust
for competition throwing.
- 2000, Jul- Competitor/thrower in San Luis Valley
Renegades MountainMan National event. Scored 75 for 14th place of 14. First
MountainMan event, but learned a few things to adjust for competition throwing.
- 2000, Oct.- Competitor/thrower in AKTA National event.
Scored 184 for 5th place tie overall. Also placed 3rd in two turn knife.
Finally starting to produce some results.
- 2001, Jul- Competitor/thrower in San Luis Valley
Renegades MountainMan National event. Scored 78 for 14th place of 16. Did
better this year. These guys are good throwers.
- 2001, Jul.- Competitor/thrower in WKTF National event.
Scored 197 for 3rd place overall of three competitors. This was a good
competition and next time I am sure more will attend.
- 2001, Oct.- Competitor/thrower in AKTA National event.
Scored 133 for 8th place overall of 13 competitors. Had a bad day with the
knife but my tomahawk saved me from total embarrasment.
- 2002, Oct.- Competitor/thrower in AKTA National event.
Scored 149 for 7th place overall of 9 competitors. Had a bad day with the knife
but my tomahawk saved me from total embarrasment.
- 2003, Jul.- Competitor/thrower in WKTG event. 4th place
- 2003, Oct.- Competitor/thrower in AKTA event. 3rd 18 ft.
knife, 3rd Tomahawk, 4th place overall with 150. Not a bad day out this time
Towards the Advancement of the
- 1997-present - Author, creator, and webmaster of this,
the "Sticking Point" website.
- 1998, March - Conducted Throwing Exhibition at the Prince
William County, Virginia, Boy Scouts Camporee. Over 900 scouts were introduced
to the sport of knife throwing. Also attending: Larry Czekaj and Dan McLachlan.
- 1998, September - Organized and conducted the AKTA
sanctioned Tuckahoe, MD competition
- 1999, April - Presented with the Kenneth Pierce "Che Che
Whitecloud" award for dedication in promoting knife throwing.
- 2000, February - Conducted Throwing Exhibition in
Maryland with Larry Czekaj, for a local Boy Scouts troop. Over 75 scouts were
introduced to the sport of knife throwing.
- 1997, December - Article, The Bullseye Buster, "Do
- 1998, March - Article, The Bullseye Buster,
- 1998, December - Article, The Bullseye Buster, "AKTA
Sanctioned NE 'Endless Summer' Contest
- 2001, October - Article, Sports Illustrated for Women, pg
- 2002, September - Book, Contemporary American Knife and
Tomahawk Tournament Throwing: The Culture, the environment, the People, and the